Monday, July 21, 2008

Half of a Yellow Sun


I just finished reading the greatest work of fiction I have ever read, simply breathtaking. I ordered the book Half of a Yellow Sun and it arrived on Thursday, so I got down to reading it, I simply could not put it down, I stayed up all night reading the book, I don't want to give too much of the plot away because I want everybody to read and enjoy the book. It's about Love and War, or Love in War. The book is set around and during the Nigerian Civil War (Biafran War)
The author Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie writes so beautifully (I have to get her previous book- Purple Hibiscus) I'll keep my eye out for further books.
The were moments when reading the book that I gasped and shouted insults at the characters, such was the intensity of the writing that you feel totally engaged with the characters.
I don't want to spoil it for you but...I was very very very very sad at the end...partially because it's a sad and unexpected end, and also because well, becuase it was the end of a great novel.
(Now I'm back to boredom)

3 comments:

ExpandForFree said...

So Half of Yellow Sun was really that good. I will definitely put the book on my "To Read" list.

Would you like your blog to gain more popularity? Please visit my blog at http://expandforfree.blogspot.com which provides a free Blog Expansion service.

Adiba said...

I hope it's really as good as you say it is..I'll give it a go on my flight back to Holland. Hope London is treating you good. Benedictions!

Adiba said...

Julez....Did you forget it here?..Is it ok if I steal it away to MBurg..I swear I'll increase my reading speed...to 1chapter/day....how's that? ..By Christmas I would be done.....a definite promise. I really do love her writing style....and also admire her afrocentricity...And I would also give Purple Hibiscus a go..during my Christmas break :)..obviously after you've purchased it....So It'll just be HYS..and TFA..before xmas.I need to gear up on my knowledge of the legacy of colonialism. Peace and all that benediction stuff!!