Sunday, February 21, 2010

I am Malcolm X !


It's been 45 years since the death of Malcolm X. I chose to do a study on him for my history personal project while I was in high school, and reading his autobiography had a deep and profound impact on me. I consider him one of my heroes. He was fearless, intelligent, articulate, humorous, passionate and compassionate, and in the end he paid the ultimate price in his pursuit of freedom, respect, equality and dignity.
His fiery rhetoric and unwillingness to conform to the accepted 'discourse' of the 'Negro-issue' meant since his death in 1965, the establishment has tried to erase his impact and his wisdom, but thankfully his memory has been persistent and resistant and his words still inspire many today.

45 years on, Malcolm X still lives.

Here is an interview he had with Eleanor Fischer of WNYC Radio in the 1960s, while he was still with the Nation of Islam. Enjoy! (it may take about 30 seconds after your click the play button before it actually starts playing, so be patient)

No comments: