Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Food for the soul

It's almost an Obubo thing to be into poetry, either the writing or the consumption of it.

Poem of the week

I have rejected my kinsmen
I have traded tradition for "fun"
I am no longer 'ethnic', I'm urban
I have dropped my robes, but zipped my jeans
I have picked up the proper utensils
I have dotted my Is and crossed my Ts
I have sipped my tea
I have sipped the drink of perpetual freedom
I have wrangled free of the manacles of "culture"
I....I am one of them
I belong
My skin is darker
But I'm one of them
My hair is different
But I'm one of them
My speech is different
But I'm one of them
They cannot pronounce my name
But, by God, I am one of them


Laura has asked me to purchase poetry compilations for her birthday...which is actually in just over 2 weeks. She also wants a book by Ken-Saro-Wiwa, the Nigerian Civil-Rights Leader who was executed by Gen. Sani Abacha... We'll see...we'll see.

2 comments:

Adiba said...

haha Julez...so which one are you getting...Saul Williams, Jill Scott or Ken Saro-Wiwa??? ORDER IT NOW....LOL....thnx btw

Adiba said...

and Julez it's not just his book it's his detention diary.