Thursday, October 22, 2009

Vinte e Um (Twenty-One)

So, finally I am now legally a full adult in Nigeria, and in the USA. I know I look twice my age (from a distance at least) but yes, I have been 20 for a while now, well one year precisely, but it feels like an eternity.
I remember when I was 19, I didn't want to become 20 too quickly because I felt I would lose my uniqueness, all my mates were 20 and above, and there I was; still a teenager, but looking much older than they. Well, when I turned twenty I was like, let's get on with it. So I am 21 now and I thank God.
I had a low key celebration (I love low-key) at the usual spot- you guessed it: Nando's. But I have to enter a personal note for further remembrance- never eat a chicken leg three hours before going to Nando's- it's a very bad idea. For the first time in history I was unable to finish my meal, on MY birthday, Dios Mio! can you imagine that!!! Well I was presented with a chocolate cake which was very very nice!
It was great to be surrounded by a few of my closest friends, we often fail to count our blessings, and we often fail to cherish those who care about us, and I am really grateful to God that I was able to share this moment in great company.
I am a person who believes in honesty and whole heartedness, and so I'm very meticulous when choosing friends and I make sure we are compatible on many levels, I'm not naturally the most open person, but I strive to have a deep emotional connection with those I consider friends.
So anyway, I am probably going on too much about the value of friendship (I have noticed that I have been very introspective and contemplative of random things lately, I don't know if this is good or bad, but I hope I don't bore people with my constant eulogizing of various things..and here I go again)

So, the pictures. Sadly, when you are the celebrant, and when you possess the large photographic contraption that I have, you end up taking very few pictures. But the memories are forever ingrained in my memory..lol..or in my brain.

With the group L-R- Me, Titi, Marlene, Marjanne, Marta & Jamila (not pictured- Dominik)
Me and the ever jovial Jamila
Marlene and Marjanne
Me and Titi
Thumbs up from Marta
The Cake!!!



So a BIG THANK YOU to Titi, Marlene, Marjanne, Jamila, Dominik and of course Miss Marta for a marvelous day. I love you guys soo much!!!

No comments: