Thursday, May 15, 2008

Mood Muzik


Unlike some people I cannot write an essay and listen to vocal music at the same time, I have tried, but this has led to me writing down words from the song in my essay, with results such as "This essay aims to critically evaluate could you be loved and be loved..." I do occasionally listen to Jazz when I'm doing an essay, but I usually prefer silence. However when I'm taking notes or sitting down getting essay ideas and angles, I do enjoy to listen to two main artists- Laura Nyro and Minnie Ripperton (in the picture- Ripperton above, Nyro below) Both artists from the 70's (glory years of music if you ask me)The music is so chill, so relaxing, ethereal sounds. Ripperton had a 5 octave vocal range, and she could sing while hitting notes as high as whistle sounds- crazy! Nyro's music is too amazing for words, just uplifting everytime.
I grew up on 70s music, my dad had an extensive stash of records from his university years in Aberystwyth, Wales. I think one gains a greater appreciation of music when they are exposed to different types of music at such a young age, when one is still very impressionable. Amongst my dad's collection was The Heptones (reggae) Kenny Rogers (country) Roger Whitaker (folk) Helen Reddy (pop??)..I think the bands that made the most impression on me were The Carpenters and Simon & Garfunkel, I mean nothing can beat 'Yesterday Once More' by the Carpenters, or S&G's Mrs. Robinson, in fact the Simon & Garfunkel catalogue is so amazing it's hard to single out one song as their best.
Of course, growing up in the 90s meant I was growing up during the so called Golden Age of Popular Hip-Hop 1997-2000. The problem with Hip-Hop is that many people don't understand it's importance (even avid hip-hop fans) many people misinterpret the message or purpose of Hip-Hop music or Hip-Hop philosophy, for many people hip-hop means doing the peace sign and sagging their jeans, but hip-hop (well real hip-hop I'd argue) means a lot more, something I may discuss in future posts. I think what has to be done is to focus on the positive types of hip-hop, the real expressions of art such as Jay-Z, Common, Kanye West, Pharrell, Andre 3000...we need to weed out senseless fools masquerading as hip-hop artists the likes of Rick Ross, 50 Cent, Young Jeezy, Plies..people who blend hip-hop with crime and misogyny and perpetuate this message through American Popular Culture. I better stop before this turns into a media essay.
But, music is food for the soul, and listening to music is something I do constantly whenever I'm not at uni or sleeping. (I don't listen to my mp3 player much because I end up singing along or dancing in the streets, which makes me look quite insane...so let's not go there)
So music heads out there, get to listening to music from the 1970s you cannot, I repeat cannot be dissapointed.

3 comments:

Tony Nicholson said...

I'm the oppossite, I love having music on as I work, but during all the deadlines I have noticed it makes me a bit less productive. With dance songs I get into and start dancing about and completely forget about work... or if Muse is on I start singing and get too excited, I think I should maybe take a leaf out of your book and work in silence

A Lisgo said...

no be fair jules i dont think anyone could do their work to the sound of Kenny Rogers or Minnie Riperton!!! other than your poor music choice i would have to agree that working in silence is the best way

Adiba said...

Agree with the last half...we need more rappers like Common, Mos Def, Talib and Jay-Z. As Chris Rock once said "it's hard to defend hip-hop" when you have lyrics like "I've got hoes in different area codes".

First Half...You need something to break the silence.."waiting for Godot" haha...when I'm working especially if it's on an English commentary or TOK or something that requires deep thoughts and non-bullshitism then classical or quiet storm is what I listen to cos somehow they smoothing my flow of thoughts.