Tuesday, March 04, 2008

What do you wanna be when you grow up?

I remember this, in primary school, we were usually asked what we would like to be when we were older. As an eight-year old kid living in Nigeria there seemed to be two main professions, a doctor or an engineer. As a kid, I knew what a doctor did, but an engineer's job was a bit ambiguous, because all the engineers I knew were clean-cut old men, and what I knew as an engine was obviously a car engine, and the guys that worked on them were mechanincs, young muscular men, smelling of petrol and soiled with engine oil, that to me was an engineer, and that was hardly a job to aspire to have.
I think I was part of the 'doctor bandwagon' until I learnt of my dad's profession..."Agriculturist" (it will later become Agricultural Economist when we were old enough to have a vague idea of what economics was) Now that I had a father with an 'exotic' profession, I obviously assumed the title, and while my peers were busy shouting doctor, engineer, and the occasional teacher, I stood up calmly and said "When I grow up, I want to be an Agriculturist", the idea was simple, the more outlandish your desired profession was, the more respect you got from your peers. Doctors and teachers were mundane, but Agriculturists and Astronauts..now that was something.
Some other students had followed suit and asked their parents what they did, hoping to emulate them, this caused a bit of confusion as you had kids wanting to be 'Managers' 'Directors' and simply 'Officers' You also had the occasional child who had early illusions of grandeur, wishing to become a 'President'...or my favourite was "When I grow up, I want to be a King" The smarter students were quick to tell him that a King wasn't really a job, but he refused to budge, as far as he was concerned, why become a doctor, or a lawyer, when you could become the ruler of all: a King!
As I grew older, I went from doctor to agriculturist to marine biologist to lawyer to journalist to..well to this, studying Public Relations, and when I graduate in 2009, I hope, I hope...I hope to become a King!

1 comment:

Adiba said...

haha...my fav post this month :P Beat that! I want to become a King.