Thursday, March 27, 2008

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency


On Easter Sunday, the show that I'd been waiting for finally aired on BBC One: "The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency" Directed by the late great Anthony Minghella, who died only a week before its airing, and starring soul superstar turned actress Jill Scott, Anika Noni Rose of Dreamgirls fame, Lucien Msamati, Idris Elba and an amazing performance from David Oyewole.
The show is based on a novel by Alexander McCall Smith, about a woman Precious Ramotswe, who sets up a detective agency in Gabarone, Botswana. She goes about solving crimes and mysteries, ranging from kidnapped kids to unfaithful husbands.
The BBC is commissioning 13 episodes to begin airing in 2009! Long time....but I'll wait!

Anyway, the program was packed full of quotable quotes, here are my favourite:

"Now I'm getting a slight smell of fish in my nostrils"

"What about my laptop, my Bluetooth, my Boombox!"

"Overtime! Overtime! What about Undertime!"

"On my knees, with my eyes closed, and my lips parted"

"Ouchy Wowchy!"

"Wednesday, Friday, still Ouchy Wowchy!"

"I suspect this is not a case for which we would be receiving payment"

"The boy better have all his fingers, I will count them"

"Would you perhaps marry me then?"

May I also commend the beautiful Jill Scott on her acting, and perfection of the Botswanan accent (sometimes Americaness seeped out, but it was largely on point)

2 comments:

Adiba said...

aaaarrrrgggghhhhhhhh I hate u Julian..u know how much I hyped on abt this and then I didn't get to watch it. I know, I fail at life....and no one's uploaded it on Youtube...but anywayz..Im sure it was amazing Jill and Anika ..can't get any better.

Anonymous said...

Loved the show :) Jilly from Philly did a brilliant job. Cannot wait for the series to start.

www.legalista.wordpress.com