Saturday, February 09, 2008

Super Sunday or The Benefit of Proximity


Tomorrow is D-Day, well for two reasons. It's the end of our season (we play Durham University) and it is the African Nations Cup Final. Unfortunately a lot has happened between my last post on The Nations Cup and Now...my fall-back nation: Ghana was beaten by our Francophone friends: Cameroon, and our other French Speaking pals: Cote d'Ivoire were humiliated by Egyptians...humiliated!! The Elephants were hunted and dismembered by the ruthless Pharoahs.
My Dad has commented on my seemingly ever changing alliance, something I was proud of, till Ghana went and fumbled against Cameroon.
My allegiance works in steps:
1-Blood
2-Cultural proximity to Nigeria
3-Geographical proximity to Nigeria
4-Colour and style of Jersey

So, me being Nigerian, I started off with the first step: Blood. I have Nigerian blood, so I supported them..Nigeria then faced Ghana, the latter has also supplied me with red blood cells...so I was open to all results. Ghana happened to win, I was still on Step 1.
Ghana then faced Cameroon (I had said that if Cameroon won, I will support Ivory Coast, this seems like a violation of the steps, as Cameroon is both culturally and geographically closer to Nigeria, however the rivalry between the two nations is intense, so I have to go with the next best: Ivory Coast)
In a twist of fate, my Co-Homeland Ghana lost, and my back-up homeland Ivory Coast were as earlier indicated: kicked out in an embarrasing fashion.
The final is now between Cameroon and Egypt. Now you might say I should support Eygpt, being that Nigeria and Cameroon are great rivals, so I should wish harm on the enemy, however, the strength of Steps 2 & 3 are enough to erode the rivalry, also taking into account how bad Egypt fares in terms of Cultural and Geographical proximity.
So there you have it, I will be supporting the Indomitable Lions come Sunday, I hope they bring pain to the Pharoahs, the same way Moses did a couple thousand years back.


P.S. If I was from Bakassi, all this would be much easier

2 comments:

Rodger said...

So much for steps and systematic analysis. National rivalry which seemed to have had a strong weight as a criterion before the Cote d'Ivoire match now seems to matter less or does not matter at all.
I guess you can still bring on the blood criterion, given that most of the inhabitants of Bakassi, Cameroon are Bayelsans. As a true son of Bayelsa, you must feel the strong natural link.
Watch out Son, the fear of Pharaohs and their Mummies is the beginning of football wisdom.
Daddy

Unknown said...

You see! with the Bayelsan link, I can now fully support Cameroon