Friday, January 04, 2008

New Year, New Julez


Yes Yes Yes, Guess who's back in the town, Me. I just spent Christmas over at my cousins in London, spent most of it: waking up at midday, eating chocolate, turkey,chicken, and beating Christopher in PS2 boxing...till my thumb couldn't move. Christmas was lovely. New Years Eve wasn't!
Mos Def William was over in London and we were supposed to meet up at the London Eye to watch the great fireworks. Well lets just say I've never seen so many people in my life, the streets of London were packed with people walking in different directions, mostly going toward Big Ben or The Eye. I was on the tube, hoping to connect and meet up my friends, only for the driver to announce that the following stations were closed due to overcrowding. Dammit!! Damn you Murphy, Damn You!! So I get out, it's about 23:30, I start walking towards the Eye, thinking I'll just stroll through, Oh how wrong was I, all of a sudden I was met with a sea of a thousand heads, English, American, French, Nigerian, Japanese, all of the world had gathered in different parts of central London to welcome the New Year. But I don't wanna see a darn clock, I wanna see fireworks!! There I am, unable to move any further, it's 23:50 now..I am by Big Ben, If I attempt to go toward the eye, I'll be welcoming the New Year while walking down a lonely street.
I had to concede, I texted William, told him I couldn't make it. I brought up my weary head and watched as the Hand struck twelve. Goodbye 2007, Hello 2008. The crowd were jubilant, champagne and beer were sprayed. Children and infants were in the crowd, they got their first taste of alcohol.
As expected the police presence was heavy, but fights erupted. Crowd + Alcohol = Fighting.
The fireworks started, I could only hear sounds and see a bit of light. I brought out 'Sophie' (my camera, I changed her name, since 'Shaniqua' was too 'ethnic') and took a few shots of Big Ben.
After that disappointment, I walked back to Victoria to get a bus back home, long story short, I waited for 2 hours to get a bus. Finally got home at 4.00am.

That was my New Year. The next day I met Mos Def and his friends and we went to an Italian restaurant, after much debate whether to go Italian or Indian...see the two restaurants were side by side, and we stood outside, debating if Rajeev or Antonio had better food. We settled for Antonio, and it was Goooood!! Run by real Italians, not British counterfeits (and they had accents!!..lol) anyway the food was great, my starter was a bunch of small dead fishes....I'll post the pics when I get my hands on it.

And here I am, back in the North East, back in cold Sun-derland. My laptop cord is acting up, have to get a new one tomorrow.....work begins again!

2 comments:

Adiba said...

Happy New Year Julez!!!

Adiba said...

that looks nasty lol...