Thursday, January 10, 2008

Julian-1 Murphy-2

Been working very very hard lately, group projects to be done. Murphy has been on my back. We had to produce a newsletter for a school, and we had to do it on a program known as Adobe InDesign. Well the program is only on the school computers, and worse still, only on the Apple MACs (with their annoyin disability to right click) and the program costs like 500 dollars so..eh buying it was way out of the question. Which meant that students had to come all the way to Uni to work on their projects.
Well this boy here wasn't having non of that, Apple was not going to ruin his life, No Sir. Trusting good old Bill Gates (he gives money to Africa, does Steve Jobs?? huh..Steve, haven't seen you on Vanity Fair cover)..I decided to forget about inDesign, i was going to use trusty old Microsoft (I love that name Microsoft...it's small and it's soft...Microsoft...) I used Microsoft Publisher..tried and tested.
On Monday we decided to meet up to see our progress, we met up and they were expecting to see some grand design from me, I was like people: "You haven't given me any words, I cannot conjure up a newsletter like that"...anyway, by the next day, I Publishered the work and it was looking sweet. Sweet as can be.
Went to Uni to print it out..guess what, the computers didn't have Publisher (how stupid)...so we decided to convert it to PDF..did that, but the file started tripping and closing randomly. Man, we went around university campuses (how come th plural of locus is loci, but campus is not campi)..lookin for an A3 printer..basically our 'great' uni has one A3 printer connected to an Apple computer that does not have Microsoft Publisher...Wow!!
Anyway, my group mates were despairing, because we had been strongly advised to use InDesign, we feared we might be reprimanded for using Publisher. Group mates considered confessing our sins, but anyone who knows Julian, knows that I never back down, I never accept defeat until it's spelt out, even when it's obvious, I still doubt. I insisted that we could work it out. So off I went to the technician, and asked him if we could print out a PDF file on A3...he said it would be difficult, but he could try...and try he did. Voila....our newsletter was done! and we got a darn good grade for it too.
I had defeated Mr. Murphy..but he was not done. Oh No! I bought stamps to post my passport pics home, went shopping, and I think somewhere the stamps fell out. How pissed was I when I felt my pocket only to reveal cotton....but Murphy will be defeated soon...very soon!

1 comment:

Adiba said...

haha funny funny stuff...imagine this someone walking down the street and sees pix of you and decides to hold on to it for the heck of it...or worse..someone does voodoo with it..watch out dude! shit can turn scary...