Thursday, October 18, 2007

Darfur is always an option

Me and my friend William (Zimbabwe born) were chillin at a Uni bar during a quiz night. Chilling with this chick, who will, due to her darn ignorance remain unnamed. Well anyway, this girl, lets call her Sandra, is planning on going to 'Africa' next year. Now notice I said Africa...coz really that's where she wants to go..Africa. To quote Sandra :"Africa is such a different country"..."In Europe me talk about trivial things, but I imagine in Africa they talk about how much food they will have to eat, if the plants are going to grow"...
William and I battled to control our laughter...but internally we were rotfloao (Rolling on the floor laughing our asses off- for the IM illiterate)
But one thing.....she was worried..yes worried. She so badly wanted to see a tribal dance, but was worried that as a white person, she may be shot with poison darts if she dared approach the sacred dancing area. So, you know what..she came up with an idea: William and I were to accompany her on her Africa expedition, and everything will be alright. A white girl surrounded by two black 6 foot plus men is perfectly safe in 'Africa'
Where in Africa do you wanna go?, Inquired an Inquisitive William. Everywhere! I wanna see a tribal dance (I don't know how this tribal dance obsession came about.) "Okay" continued William "Julian and I are quite conversant with "Africa", perhaps we can go to South Africa" "Great!" Sandra interjected with tropical enthusiasm. "Perhaps we can go to Darfur as well!" William said, holding his breath to observe her reaction. Sandra took a sip of her beer, and replied convincingly "I trust you two guys to take me anywhere"
William and I sat down, perplexed, wondering how one soul can be so malinformed about the continent, and also wondering when we obtained our "Africa-tour guide certificates"
This just goes to show how the mass production of ignorance is perpetuated by cartoons like Tom and Jerry depicting black African tribesmen with bones through their noses, obsessed with eating human beings, and displaying lack of any moral development.
Africa...our 'country'...land of poison darts, dancing tribesmen, Darfur tourist resorts, and serious tribespeople, worried about real things like farming and water...not a celebrity obsessed one like Europe. Africa Oh Africa...Country of my Fathers

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please tell this buffoon is not an undergraduate...because that would just break my heart...

Unknown said...

Amen to that Brother Bob

Your Irish Brother Ryan