Monday, July 16, 2007

One day it'll all make sense

I’ve been thinking a lot about songs, and their meanings. One song that struck me was Lyfe Jennings “Let’s stay together”, now I know he meant well, but his delivery was “terrible” to say the least…The song is about him trying to persuade his partner and mother of his children to stay with him and rethink her decision to leave..he had a line that went: “Don’t do it for the kids, do it for me” now he meant “ Don’t do it JUST for the kids, do it coz you love me as well” but poor old Stick Up Lyfe was too caught up in making the song, he comes across as a paedophobic father….like “Forget the kids, stay for me”
Anyway, I’ve been thinking about Beyonce Knowles’ contribution to the English language, or at least the urban-English language. She brought us ‘Bootylicious’ which is a compounding of Booty (the female derriere) and Delicious (yummy!) combined- (Bootylicious- “yummy derriere”, actually a derriere that obviously protrudes and is made up of a well developed and toned Gluteus Maximus) Note: “Badonkadonk” is generally considered to be a step ahead of Bootylicious, meaning- the fact that one is bootylicious does not automatically mean they have a Badonkadonk, but a girl with a Bandonkadonk is bootylicious- u get me?
Beyonce threw out the ‘white media’ infused ‘tight-butt’, which personally I find very disturbing…why would anyone want a ‘tight butt’??
Beyonce, with her second album ‘B’Day’ brought new terms like ‘Freakum Dress’…and no it’s not a salad dressing…it’s actually a compounding of the words ‘Freak’ (to make someone hyped- sexually) and ‘Him’ (pronoun for a dude) combined: Freakum. Therefore a Freakum Dress is a dress a woman (usually) wears that gets the hormones running in her man, causing him to do freaky shit with her. Beyonce also popularized the term ‘ You must not know bout me’ (English trans: I doubt you know me very well) It is now a common saying amongst couples across races…when a boyfriend trips, his girlfriend assumes the position (arms akimbo, or folded, head nodding as she says ‘You must not know bout me’, fingers may be snapped for emphasis)

I just read that my girl Kelly RoRo aka Kelly Rowland, collapsed while performing in Lagos State, Nigeria…that’s some trippy shit I wonder what song she was performing….. “I told ya I was gonna fall like dis *collapses*…crowd goes crazy!!!!!” lol. It’s a shame, she went to my home country and fainted on stage from dehydration…why didn’t she drink water…lol. I love you Kelly!!! I’m gonna get the album too. I hope she didn’t faint early in her performance, coz that would suck for her fans who paid 10 Gs to see her.

No comments: