Sunday, March 23, 2008

In Londres

Yes, I'm in London, since Wednesday. I had a work placement interview with top PR firm Taylor Herring. They handle the PR of popstars Robbie Williams & Leona Lewis, they have done work for Virgin TV, MTV....they are one of the best.
And here I was; suited and booted, in a black pinstripe suit, cufflinks and tie-clip, holding the Metro newspaper in my hand (I should have bought my fav: The Guardian), sitting in the foyer of a Portakabin, yes this prestigious PR firm was based in a portable building. I looked around the busy offices, almost everyone was chattering away on the phone., one thing then dawned on me: I was severely overdressed. Everyone else walked about in jeans, hoodies, dirty sneakers, and there I was, looking like The Godfather.
A lady came up to me and handed me a preliminary questionnaire. I looked at it and gasped...it was full of British popular culture questions: Who is Amy Winehouse's husband?..What channel shows Britains Next Top Model?? What was Robbie Williams' last album called?? What was the headline on today's Sun newspaper??...I managed to answer a few..I sat there with my glass of water, staring into emptiness. I was then called in, and the interview process began.
Actually, it wasn't really an interview, it was just a short chat about my daily routine, magazines I read, hobbies, I guess they were trying to assess my intake and awareness of popular and celebrity culture. It was then I understood what my PR lecturer meant by 'Taylor Herring are not people you go quoting PR books to'
In about 10 mins, the chat was up, and I was told I would be informed about the result in the next three weeks.
The interview was over at 11:00....and I was in a suit..what was I to do??..I had an idea: Go to Canary Wharf and walk amongst bankers, stock brokers, insurance folks...and just have a feel of 'The Life'...and I did just that, hopped on the Underground and went to Canary Wharf, where I blended right in, people in suits and ties walking about, talking about money, eating bagels and drinking coffee, talking about profit, sipping organic juice and crunching apples, talking about capital.
I walked with them, my head aloft...I was one of them..I was a Yuppie!

2 comments:

Adiba said...

haha Julez, I love this post it's so funny...I really hope you get this job, u could meet Leona Lewis!! haha u went to Canary Wharf..lol when I was reading it I pictured it like a scene fom Pursuit of Happyness. Anywayz, Wish u loads of luck..and ehmm what do u think of my personal page. It's really Laura isn't it?? Or not. Like the colours and the Saul Williamness of it? Hey did u notice I chipped in a bit of your poem, the one u wrote on gmail. I hope ur reading this in time but DO NOT FORGET 9PM(UK) BBC1 Ladies Detective Agency...Jill and Anika. Can't wait..I'll kill myself if miss it..it's going to be 1,5h long...so DON'T MISS IT JULIAN..oh u'll be filled with guilt for life.

Adiba said...

Julez, guess who's going to performing @ the Geldredome in September?