Wednesday, April 22, 2009

This is a Black Poem or These Are Our Heroes

Inspiration comes in many forms. I haven't written a poem in months. Yesterday while on skype with the little sister- Laura, we were discussing black poetry and the meaning or lack of meaning of some poems. I came up with an idea of parodying poetry by writing a nonsensical poem and seeing how people will react.
However after I had written the first line, inspiration hit, my creative juices flowed and I could no longer just write a mocking pastiche, I turned it to a commentary (if you can ever call poetry commentary) of African-American victimhood, stereotypes and symbols while placing 'black' food as the centerpiece. Anyway, here it is, it is called 'This is a Black Poem' or 'These Are Our Heroes' whichever title means more to you, so it shall be:

This is a Black Poem or These Are Our Heroes

I reach for the rainbow
Bending its arch toward today
what is to be found at its end?
A Pot of Gold?
or a Pot of Big Mamas Chicken Soup
Aunt Jemimas Pot Liqour
Cooked by Harriet Tubman
Seasoned by Sojourner Truth
I sojourn for the truth
Searching under nooks and in crannies
Emancipating black cooks and nannies
I yearn for better days
Better ways
Chicken, collard greens and rice
Made by Uncle Bens and Fredrick Douglass
Drizzled with Booker T's hot sauce
This is the Kentucky Renaissance
I yearn for that essential blackness
That undeniable cool
That steadfastness
and vigor
The strong black back
Withstood the slave-masters whips
and the water-hoses of policemen
in Alabama
spraying little children
and they Mama

No comments: