Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Julian Obubo's Robinson Crusoe Challenge ends in failure

I had set myself a challenge, the challenge was that a razor would not touch my beard till the day I hand in my dissertation, I accepted this challenge so that my facial hair would be a constant reminder of the amount of work I need to do, this challenge was going on fine, and I last shaved way back in the second week of October. I am blessed with what I term 'follicular prolificacy' or the ability to grow hair really quickly.
This challenge was twofold, not only was it to be a reminder to work hard, but it was also a scientific study- to see how I looked with a long beard, or to see how long my beard would grow if I didn't shave it for 6 months.

Anyway....

The results are that I may never know. I was advised by both brother and sister to shave it, my good friend William Cunningham told me I looked younger without a full beard, it seems the world has suddenly turned averse to beard wearing. Also, I began to suffer from 'beard fatigue'- which is the restlessness a bearded person feels when their facial hair isn't 'going anywhere', there's the temptation to pull out a razor and style it, or there is the further temptation, like the one I had last night, to completely and utterly get rid of the beard and start all over again.
So razor in hand, I shaved my beard. My namesake, the last non-Christian Emperor of Rome, Julian The Apostate, was known for his rich beard, he even wrote an article called 'The Beard Hater' making fun of those who had mocked his hairy face (they considered him quite unkempt for a Roman Emperor)
So, the name Julian has a history of beardedness, and I intend to keep that tradition strong, the issue now is to find the right length at which I want my facial hair to constantly be, rather than letting it grow to a apostolic levels (by apostolic levels I mean, I start to look like on of Christ's apostles) and then shaving it off, I must find a sort of middle ground, a beard equilibrium, this is my new challenge.
So in the end, I could not achieve my Robinson Crusoe look, I frankly do not think I would have completed it, after a while getting food stuck in your beard, or eating your mustache is not fun. But at least I tried, below you will find pictures of me, before and after the beardotomy.


Me, during the Robinson Crusoe challenge


Me, in my new hairless state

NB- Both pictures taken on different days, I don't just put on my suit simply to take pictures of myself.

No comments: