Saturday, November 08, 2008

Post Election Depression


Wow, we are finally here. The US Elections are over, Obama is president, I should be satisfied, right? I should be happy, and yes I am, but I'm also overcome with a great sense of loss, no more spending hours watching Obama and Biden speeches on youtube. No more pouring through The Huffington Post, no more laughing at something stupid Sarah Palin said (actually that hasn't ended yet)
But yes, before Nov 4 I was addicted to the US Elections, I had to have my daily fix, each morning before lectures I'll watch msnbc, read the latest article on The Huffington Post and check Obama's youtube page for updates. Then suddenly, the day we all hoped for arrived, Tuesday, November 4th. Within 24 hours it was over, so more pundits speculating on how McCain could pull an upset, no more great speeches on the campaign trail, Obama had done it, he had won, that's what we wanted, but it had come way too soon. I was not done annoying everyone I could with my Obama speeches. I practically had no other conversation topic other than Obama, and I mastered how to turn conversations on mundane topics to heated debates on the US Elections. We could start talking about the weather and I'll somehow manage to introduce Obama into the conversation.
Example

Person- It's quite cold today
Me- Yes it is, it's almost as cold as Chicago
Person- How do you know how cold Chicago is?
Me- I don't, but I know someone who does: Barack Obama, by the way did you see him on TV last night?

It's a gift.

But know we would call him President Obama, arguably the most important leader in the world. Leader, as the Americans like to say, of the Free World, I really don't know what that's supposed to mean, America and Free don't exactly go hand in hand in my books (we can talk for hours about that)

Yes, it's over, I'm relieved, now I have to wait till January 20th to hear another great speech from the 44th President of the United States of America, Barack Hussein Obama.

2 comments:

Adiba said...

LOL @ how you switch the subject....That's the cover Oprah was talking about...she loved it so much..it's just his face and Mr.President.

Adiba said...

Julian's u are suffering from the PEWS (Post Election Withdrawal Symptom) ....The feeling of general depletion and emptiness in the few days after a presidential election. May be accompanied by aimless clicking on news websites looking for something to read.