Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Vinte


Yes, finally I have shed the prefix teen that has followed me for seven years. I have now officially moved on to a new category. I am now 20. It's not a big change, maybe a little more respect, actually, it doesn't make the slightest difference since most people think I'm in my mid-twenties anyway, someone has even gone as high as over thirty.
But yes, I am 20. No big celebrations like last year, partly due to bad timing (I was in Bradford over the weekend, celebrating someone else's birthday)
That's the problem William and I have always had, someone's birthday usually eclipses the other, growing up, it was usually mine overshadowing his, his being on the 20th, mine on the 21st, it was only logical to suspend the cake and chicken eating for a day to accommodate my graduation. So while he only had the birthday wishes and hugs, I got the whole nine yards- cake, chicken, jollof rice, presents, general festivities. Of course they were meant for both of us, but the celebrations falling on my birthday was of significance, if not to anyone else, it was for me a source of bragging, seeing that William had to wait 24 hours to actually 'celebrate' his birthday.
So, yesterday, he turned 22, and here I am, graduating to a modest 20 (there's no immodest age by the way)
My 'youth' if I can still use that word unsurprisingly comes as a surprise to many, and I guess that makes me happy- it means I'm unique in a way- my biological appearance and my age do not correspond- GREAT!

1 comment:

Adiba said...

Happy 20th Birthday Julian!
Your birthday present is in the works.