Monday, May 19, 2008

I Funghi, I Gamberetti, il Porco e la Pasta

My former classmate Marlene is leaving for China in August to study in Hainan University. As she is going to be eating dogs, cats, rats and pandas for the next year, I decided to send her off with a dinner- Julian style (Italian cooking- as all my recipes are pasta based- due to the fact that I cannot cook rice up to the required standard)
William Cunningham had never met Marlene before so he was invited as well.
I christened the meal "I funghi, I Gamberetti, il Porco e la Pasta"- figure that out yourself!
The taste was heavenly, in some other life I might have been a cook. The ingredients included- pasta (obviously) Mushrooms, Prawns, Onions, Pork sausages- all these fried in honey tinted oil, as usual a chicken accompanied the meal, with some Australian Shiraz wine to wash it all down- Scrumptious
A friend of mine got me some plantains from London, cheaper in London than in Sunderland. I haven't had plantains as a student, so this was special.
Since Marlene was the guest of honour, she got the honour of eating with my sqaure plate- the highest honour that can be bestowed upon a guest.

Unfortunately, the only pics that exist of this meal are really unflattering and do no justice to my culinary skill, but I will make do with what I have



Click for a larger picture

2 comments:

Adiba said...

the pic is really unflattering...the presentation is sloppy. LOL at the name of the meal...talking about Marlene is going to be eatings rats, dogs and stuff..you fed her Fungus.

*you still can't cook rice?? :P

Rodger said...

Sounds like the description was better than the real thing. Well, you sure need a crash course in presentation of dishes. Any retired chef can volunteer to help you. In addition, you need a complementary course in photo composition to produce an appealing photo of an "unflattering" dish. For this, I will personally provide the technical advice.
Bonus, a follow up course on proper cooking of rice dishes awaits you in Huissen. This course has a money back guarantee for single grain , non-soggy rice and you will yourself agree never to resort to messy and unflattering pasta dishes.