Saturday, November 24, 2007

Alicia Keys- As I Am


If you read my post Wednesday October 10 Entitled My Life I said I was obsessed with Alicia Keys single 'No One'. Well the album has dropped, and yes it is a classic. Now I have only been a passive listener of Alicia (although I've seen her Unplugged 4 times), so I cannot say how this fares with A Minor and Diary, but this album is just as Ashanti would say 'Bananas' The intro is a very hip-hop oriented track, no vocals. The next track 'Go Ahead' is actually my least favourite track. The second track 'Superwoman' is an inspirational track for women feeling beaten by life. It is a piano led track, so it does not have that anthem feel, it's a Girl-Power song. By track 4 things start cooking up, the second single 'Like you never see me again' has piercing pianos, possibly the best track on the album...hmmm I'll get back to that. The song basically charges lovers to cherish the present and not take things for granted, love like you were about to die! In fact the main theme in this album is Love. With three consecutive tracks having 'love' in the title. Track 7 Wreckless love another favourite of mine, it would be so great to be performed live! (as all Alicia Keys songs actually) it has a very uplifting and energetic feel to it.
The only collabo of the album, 'Lesson Learned' with John Mayer, talks about being in a destructive relationship, with the woman always forgiving the man, giving him the excuse not to fully commit.
Track 9 Teenage Love Affair sounds like its off Diary..I'm not complaining, it is single material, and it's basically self-explanatory, it's about young, innocent love. Love letters, shyness, phonecalls.
'I Need you', another love song, basically telling a hesitant lover that their love is real, and none of them should doubt it. "North needs South, East needs West, and No needs Yes, I Need You" another stand out track.
'Where do we go from here', this has a slight raggae feel to it, it is about a lover who wants to end the relationship, and the other lover is pining in sorrow, as she still loves him. I really love this song.
Track 12 is 'Prelude to a Kiss' , I still don't get the metaphorical connection between the title and the lyrics. Good song nevertheless. Can also be a song to listen to when you are feeling down.
And now the best track of the album, and of her whole career..lol. 'Tell you something (Nana's Reprise)' this is a love song in a similar vein as 'Like you'll never see me again', it is about seizing the moment. For instance when a lover is going off to war, or has a terminal illness, it is imporant to tell them how much you love them, because all would be in vain if your true innermost feelings were never expressed. I love this song too much, it's on constant replay.
The album closes with 'Sure looks good to me' it is all about living life! That's all I can say, about again, seizing the day and living the hell outta life! Live, Love, Life, Give Love!

Verdict- 10/10
Again, I havent completely digested A Minor or Diary, but if 'Licia is always on point like this, then I can say those were classics like this. As I Am is a big breath of fresh air in the music scene. The only thing better than listening to this album will be watching her perform it live. CLASSIC!

2 comments:

Adiba said...

damn u!..I was gonna write a review too...LOL..like everyone is your favourite..Tell You Something Nana's reprise...is about ..you know she nearly lost her grandma..so it's basically like..she wants to say all she has to say before it gets too late...Sure Looks Good to Me still remains my fav..and im not really feeling Go Ahead.

'Licia aside...how u feeling? with your throat wud u still be able to attend ur "victory" game 2mro is it?

Unknown said...

yea I would still attend, cant miss that! gotta launch the gloves. Oh really I didn't know she lost her grandma, I was wonderin' what Nana's reprise meant.
Hey all the tracks are that good, gotta love em'