Saturday, February 03, 2007

Dreamgirls



I just saw Dreamgirls, and oh my God, I was totally blown away. I knew it was a musical, but I didn't know the characters interacted with music at times, and I wasn't expecting Jamie Foxx to sing, but he was amazing as usual. The star performance of course- wifey! Jennifer Hudson, her rendition of 'And I am telling you' was wonderful, I dare say better than Holliday's. She is a natural talent. Beyoncé upped her game, Deena was made for her. The dining table scene with Jamie was perfect, you can see the growth from Foxxy Cleopatra to Deena Jones.

Eddie Murphy was amazing, he is established as far as I am concerned, so I wasn't surprised by his dramatic role, I knew damn well he could pull it off. go Eddie! Anika Noni Rose, she played her part smoothly and wonderfully, and I finally realised who she looks like- a female Keith David, they have the same smile. I found it eeire that Effie's replacement (Sharon Leal's character) was called Michelle, just like Destiny's Child.

The movie is totally worth seeing over and over again. I don't know, but I felt like I was the only one in the cinema that was really 'feeling' the movie, I seemed to hear a 'silent' "Oh not again", when someone started singing. I was almost in tears (yes again, I'm a man! niggas) after Jennifer Hudson's 'you're gonna love me'.

I like the homages, the Jackson 5, with the Campbell Connection were they called? and Eddie with the wool beanie, looking like Marvin Gaye.

I heard Beyoncé beat out Alicia Keys for the role of Deena, hmmm Alicia would have made an amazing Deena as well. Ashanti would have done a swell job as well. I'm in love with this movie. Totally blew me away. At first I thought all this Jennifer Hudson talk was all hype, well now I've seen it, and it aint no hype. Well deserved SAG and Golden Globe, now go get the Oscar baby! Beyoncé deserved the Golden Globe Nomination as well. But wait, we are forgetting Jamie Foxx, I guess people felt his Ray Golden Globe and Oscar should last him 3 years, nevertheless he did an amazing job, Jamie is going places. Will Smith, Terrence Dashon Howard & even ol' Denzel were considered for Jamie's role. Somehow, I don't see Denzel singing, just me! and was I the only one waiting for Anthony Hamilton to pop up randomly, I don't know, but this movie needed a cameo from him. Loretta Devine can sing as well!

But yeah, I hope JHud goes on to get more awards for Dreamgirls and future roles.

Black Star Power baby, Black Star Power!

1 comment:

Adiba said...

lol @ Anika ..female keith David