Friday, November 10, 2006

Writing raps

Damn, it's been a long time since I last wrote a song. I used to be writing raps everyday (a loooong time ago) but now I just lack the inspiration. Everytime I attempt to write, it ends up corny, and my subject matter ends up being braggadocious rather than meaningful. Don't get me wrong, I love bragging, and I think it's one of the nice things in hip-hop, but sometimes I prefer to talk about other things, like love, like the black woman's plight, like female dependence on men, frustration...things like that.
Here's one of my verses that I'm extremely proud of, it's called Monica, and it's basically about a prostitute who has kids, and men come to her home and pay for sex. (one of my inspired moments)

Monica
Monica represents the lost, the weak and the brokenhearted
The addicts, dope-peddlers, the dearly departed
women that have been products of our society
lost all hope, forced to sell their anatomy
Beautiful women
Symbols of female power and pride
But no telling the hurt inside
Many recount stories of lost fortunes
Abusive husbands or parents unfortunately
lands them in their present condition
and the behaviour of several men conditions
them to be doubtful of men and avoid commitment
it all adds to the predicament
every night men be payin’ for sex
sometimes fathering kids in the process
fatherless sons or daughters from babyhood till when they getting bigger
growing up without a father figure
and it’s hard to figure
what’s goin’ through the kids heads
when they are surrounded by the life mommy leads
a grown man walks into mommy’s room and then leaves later
Smiling
And mommy comes out
Smiling
Coz now she can pay the rent
But inside she’s torn, she weeps, she’s bent
On creating a future for her daughter
She don’t want her to be like her mother
But when a girl grows up in world with morals upside down
Her life is more likely to be turned upside down
The chain continues
Soon mother and daughter supplyin’ the same clienteleThis is a living hell………living hell.

No comments: